Thursday, November 15, 2012

Bookcase Makeover

Saturday past, I gave my bookcases a makeover. With no plans for my Saturday I began throwing books off the shelves and onto the floor including junk I was hoarding for years. My husband thought I was creating work for myself but he liked the end result. I invited the kids to help but I guess it involved too much cleaning for them to join in and Lord knows how I have them helping out in the home Monday through Friday.




I was inspired by the book, Real Simple Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom and Easy Ideas to Simplify Everyday by The Editors of Real Simple Magazine. I picked this book up at the library just browsing. As I have said before, when I worked full-time 2 + years ago I never really had the time to “home make.” I salute mothers who work full-time outside of the home and yet have time to really “home make” because I simply could not do it. I salute passionate home makers because they have made this a real art and are willing to share information with others.

I have completed some projects here and there but I have a deep need and desire to be even more organized. I love not having to tear my house apart just to look for something. I like it when my husband asks me for something and right away I know where it is. I like being the CEO of our home and the Internet has been a great tool for information. I have been inspired & motivated by wonderful blogs by wonderful women who share information about interior design, home organization, basic home maintenance, and homemaking. I even came across blogs about doing a home organization 30-day challenge. I don’t think I am ready for that right now but it’s a great way to hurry up and get organized.

My goal wasn’t to make my bookshelves identical to the bookshelves in the Real Simple book, on pages 116-117, but to organize the books. I organized all of our books by categories, self-help, art & design, computers, etc. I scrapped the junk and added some design elements such as memorabilia, photos, and vases. This project costs me $0.

What was your last home making project and what inspired you to just get it done?





No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! I will do my best to read every comment but I cannot promise that I will be able to reply to all reader comments.

Please keep all comments on-topic and relevant to the original post.

Please do not post comments which contain profanity, hate speech or solicitations of any kind.

All comments are moderated so your comment may not appear immediately.