Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Felt Christmas Stockings

I made Christmas stockings using the cheapy felt from the craft store. The felt sheets cost me 29 cents each.



We don’t have Christmas stockings. Well, we have 1 that I bought for Josh when he was first born. My niece and nephew came by for the weekend and I wanted to give them something they could take with them. I searched all over the Internet trying to find a simple tutorial on making felt stockings and a small enough pattern that would fit a standard piece of felt. The easiest thing I found was a video that said you could glue felt stockings together which you could do but I wanted to use my sewing machine. I found another blog site that said you have to buy the heavier felt because the cheap felt wouldn’t sew well.

I didn't want to make this project complicated so what I did is folded the felt in half, lengthwise, and cut it in half. On one side of the felt I drew a stocking outline using a black Sharpie marker and cut it out and used it for all of the patterns for 5 stockings, 2 stockings for my niece and nephew and 3 for Josh, Jason, and Alyssa.


After my patterns of all stockings were all cut I used a cookie cutter to make patterns of a tree, candy cane, and heart on the stocking. I added some complementary fabric to the back (inside) of the cutouts, glued the edges with tacky glue, and did a running stitch around the heart and tree. Additionally, I decided to put the kids initial on the stocking. I used some leftover glittery black felt and cut out the kids initials using letter cookie cutters as stencils.








Next, I cut white strips of felt for the top of the stocking. I Pinned the stocking together as well as the white felt for the top of the boot.
Pinned a ribbon at the top edge for hanging the stocking

Based on my own research and the type of fabric I used I choose the 80/11 needle--for lightweight knits and synthetics, 2020 series. I straight stitched the white felt onto the boot first (wrong side of the fabric).




Finally, I closed the boot together and on the right sides I zig zag stitched the edges of the stocking together and glued a button at the top. 



I purchased red felt, white felt, embroidery floss, and red & white polka dot ribbon (for hanging). There's a lot of room for creativity with these and you could use items you already have to decorate. Now I have three more orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! I will do my best to read every comment but I cannot promise that I will be able to reply to all reader comments.

Please keep all comments on-topic and relevant to the original post.

Please do not post comments which contain profanity, hate speech or solicitations of any kind.

All comments are moderated so your comment may not appear immediately.