Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Gift Matters

On Sunday I was happy to teach children’s church. The topic was, My Gift Matters. The main scripture for the lesson was 2 Corinthians 8:12 as follows:

Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have. New Living Translation Bible

Because I have read the bible over and over again, I will just say it, I can get a little arrogant and not see the message in it. Sometimes I think the children’s church lessons are just that, for the kids. As I have prayed for a more watchful spirit I am learning to see a lesson for myself in everything. I felt the topic of giving would be easy to teach. I read the lesson many times. I kept meditating on 2 Corinthians 8:12 and my own personal situation.

I thought about an easy organizing day in September-- I cleaned out my accordion coupon file and found $20 in the back file. That was $20 less money used to buy food or items we needed around the house. I didn’t miss it.

For many years I have used the resources of this church. It’s not in the Metro/DC area. It’s not my home church either. Since October I felt led to give, monetarily, to this ministry who I have received sound teaching from for many years. I know that this ministry helps all people from every walk of life and all over the world.

What’s a stay-at-home mom to do (after all, I am not generating an income)? When this came to me about giving to this ministry I felt defensive. I questioned the thought. I am not working. I am on a very limited fixed income. The money I receive is to support my family. Even if I gave, which would be very little, how can my gift support such a large ministry as this? Who would receive my offering and laugh at the amount I sent?

I was lead to read other scriptures aside from 2 Corinthians 8:12. I know that God owns everything in the world (Psalm 24:1) and that he loves a gift from someone who is happy to give it and not because they are pressured to do so or emotional (2 Corinthians 9:7).

As I thought about 2 Corinthians 8:12 I knew that this lesson was not only for the children but for me too. My gift is okay with God if I truly have a heart to give it-- if I myself am okay with it. It’s a personal gift to give. Don’t give to people-please, give according to what I already have. I am learning that most of the bondage that I have is created by the way I think. As I meditated about 2 Corinthians 8:12 I was encouraged and happy to give. For the first time in many years I was happy to give to the ministry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! I will do my best to read every comment but I cannot promise that I will be able to reply to all reader comments.

Please keep all comments on-topic and relevant to the original post.

Please do not post comments which contain profanity, hate speech or solicitations of any kind.

All comments are moderated so your comment may not appear immediately.